Bringing Home Baby Pug

Introducing a new pug puppy to your home is a very big and exciting step! First things first, there are a few things that you will need to buy for your new pug puppy. You will need:

• collar with ID tag

• leash

• dish for food and water

• comfy bed

• food

• potty training pads

Most breeders or shelters will send you home with some of the dog food that your puppy is accustomed to. Be sure to stick with this food for a week or so, at least, so as to not cause any stomach issues. If you want to change your puppy's diet, do it slowly. You can read more about pug diets here.

There are different ways you should let your pug puppy acclimate to its surroundings. A lot of it depends on if you already have a dog at home or not. If you do not already have a dog at home, let your pug puppy walk around and check things out. This is the time to start setting boundaries. If you do not plan on letting her in your bedroom or on your furniture, then make those things clear right now. She has a lot to take in and a lot to discover, so just give her time before you bombard her with toys, food, water, excitement. You want to make a very calm environment for her.

If you already have a dog at home, the first thing will be to introduce your old dog(s) to your new puppy. They will need to check each other out, do a lot of sniffing and try and figure out what they think of each other. Here is a cute video of how our first pug reacted to our new puppy.

Don't be afraid to let your old dog and new puppy interact. If you think they are being too rough, separate them, but give it time. Eventually they will be cuddling and chasing each other in circles.

Next, you need to show her where her bed/sleeping area is. I would highly suggest getting a metal kennel and putting a soft pillow or bed in it. This clearly defines what is "her space." Ideally she will eventually see this as a refuge and a security and will feel safe in there.

Next, show your pug puppy where the food and water dish are located. As you may already know, pugs LOVE food, so they will be happy to learn where they will enjoy many happy meals in the future.

Next, show her the area where you have the potty training pad. At first she may not know what this is, but some breeders and shelters use them, so she may be familiar with it. Potty training is a very important thing to teach your pug early on. The more consistent you are now, the sooner you will stop having to clean up messes in the house. To learn more about potty training, read this article.

Now that your pug puppy has had the tour of the house and the tour of her belongings, get down on the floor with her and start bonding! This won't be hard because pug puppies are absolutely precious and hard to resist playing with. Be gentle and don't tire her out. More than likely your little one is exhausted from all of the changes in it's life. Have a time of playing and bonding and then it will probably be nap time! Just like human babies, puppy babies also need a lot of sleep when they are young.

The last thing I want to talk about is your first night with your new pug puppy. Some people like to have their dogs sleep with them. I prefer for our dogs to sleep in their own space. After your puppy has gone to the bathroom, take her to the kennel and shut the door. Make sure that the room is dark and comfortable. She may whimper a bit or let out a few barks, but don't worry, she's just testing the water. After awhile, she will calm down and go to sleep because she has had a big day! This may take some discipline on your part, but I promise that eventually your pug puppy will happily go into her kennel and you can both get a good night's rest.

Have questions, comments, or suggestions about this?
Talk about it in the forums →

Comments

779c99e6044c9e6d_s
JCLASSRACER (over 5 years ago)

I am in fact bringing home a baby pug uin about 6 weeks. He will be 8 weeks old at that time. I am wondering what sort of collar i should get. I haven't had a dog in a long time adi see people using those harness looking ones for puppies. Suggest?

Thanks!@

E2e4364b1fb7a25a_s
pugsly (over 5 years ago)

Just my thoughts,I use harnesses for my three pugs.my boys Are older and bigger and never had experience with a young pug.
The harness can give you more to grab a hold of if needed. Just saying.
I'm sure you will get a lot of ideas and reason about this that will be helpful
Good luck with your new puggie and welcome to pug mania.

A72dcba8eb2256706f927f22_s
karypug6 (over 5 years ago)

You definitely want to start out with a harness. Pug puppies are very very head heavy and tumble out of hands easily. With the harness you can alway keep a finger wrapped around the harness when you or anyone else is holding your new baby. Pug puppies are wriggly too, the harness will help keep puggy under control while being held. You'll want to be very carful with what you choose to put around your pug's neck. If you're thinking of obedience training and puggy will heal on walks then you can buy a "limited slip" collar. With a limited slip collar you adjust it so it can only squeeze your pug's neck so far. It works like a choker where the collar is loose unless your dog pulls on the leash. Pugs don't really have a neck so a regular collar can't be tightened enough and it will slip right off. Something you definitely don't want to happen. Plus repeated pressure on your puggy's neck can cause irritation to his/her larynx and may even damage the airway. For most of my pugs I use harnesses, only Buhdi (sounds like Buddy) uses a collar but he's obedience trained and never pulls on the leash. Lastly, I use a harness because in the unlikely event one of my pugs gets lost I don't want a good samaritan removing it's collar because my puggy is so wiggly it is impossible to read the information otherwise.

I can't tell you how many times a harness saved my pug puppies (I purchsed three as puppies) from being dropped. Thery're pretty much all head and topple over very easily. An additional FYI you'll want to raise your new puggy's food dish as well. Otherwise puppy will be face diving into his/her kibble. Personally I use the white pages phone book for puppies and the yellow pages for adults.

Congratulations on your new puggy, I'm totally jealous!

Kary

8ceeaddaab09be68_s
tanziesmom (over 5 years ago)

I agree with Karypug6. A harness is the only way to go. you feel much more secure in the safety of your little one. some people use both the harness and collar, harness for total control at all times and collar for info tags. I just put the tags on the harness. and don't forget. take off all harnesses and collars when you crate your pup. they could get hung up and you wouldn't want to have anything happen to your precious baby puggie.
Congrats, I too would love to have another, but I don't think I have the time or energy to start another one from scratch.

Eatamouse (about 5 years ago)

I would like to add that a collar is great for decoration or for holding tags.....but a harness should be used on all short nosed dogs for leash training....pugs tug hard on the collar/harness and it can cause damage.

I would add a crate to the list of items needed to make a pup feel at home. Dogs like a cozy spot to call their own...if they cry at night cover the crate (like a bird) with a towel so it is cozy and dark...it will help the pup and you have a good nights sleep.

4437f8bf949f65719e8e3fae_s
SamMorgan (about 5 years ago)

I want a new baby Pug so BAD. I dont want morgan to be lonley. Morgan treats smaller tiny dogs like a she's a mother. She's really good at parenting puppies that arent hers