Common Skin Problems in Pugs

22cf04c0b4561f91_xl_large

Your pug's loveable wrinkles can spell problems for his skin. Understanding the different skin conditions that your pug can suffer from can help you to be prepared should they occur.

Keeping your pug's skin healthy will help to keep him healthy. A healthy pug is a happy pug.

A pug's skin is sensitive to a variety of skin disorders. The very nature of their skin can easily create an environment favorable for bacteria growth. Due to the deep folds in their skin and their susceptibility to skin allergies, pugs need to be monitored closely for any signs of skin discomfort so that they can be treated before any problems escalate.

Common Conditions Seen in Pugs

One of the most common skin conditions that occur in pugs is Skin Fold Pyoderma. This skin condition has a couple of different variations that can lead to great discomfort for your beloved pet. One variation occurs on the face of the pug and another can be found in the tail area.

Because of the unique nature of a pug's skin, their skin folds can begin to rub together and create discomfort, which makes the skin in between the folds become moist and inflamed. The moisture creates the perfect breeding ground for bacteria that can eventually result in infection.

Signs of Skin Fold Pyoderma

* Irritation in the folds of the skin (redness)

* Inflammation of the skin in the folds (swelling)

* A foul odor in between the skin folds

Another condition that often affects pugs is atopic dermatitis. Pugs are susceptible to developing allergies to pollen, dust, foods, and household chemicals. This often occurs seasonally and causes chronic itching and scratching. Your pug may bite insistently at the affected areas, which can lead to skin trauma and secondary skin infections. A pug that is suffering from this allergy condition can exhibit a number of symptoms, including runny nose, eye discharge, sneezing or digestive issues.

Still another skin problem that is often found in pugs is ringworm. This condition is a fungal infection of the skin that causes a ring-like shaped lesion on the skin, along with hair loss in the affected area. The skin in the area may also be scaly. Ringworm can worsen and cause secondary infections.

How to Keep Your Pug's Skin Healthy

Keeping your pug's skin dry is one of the most important steps to keeping the skin folds healthy. You should inspect your pug's skin on a regular basis, paying special attention to the skin folds. If you notice any redness, odor or swelling, contact your vet right away.

Watch for signs of skin irritation, including scratching, biting or hair loss. These are major clues that your pug is suffering from a skin condition. The earlier you start treatment, the better the outcome will be for your pug. Keeping your special friend healthy is your top concern. While a skin condition may not be completely avoidable, keeping a check on your pug's skin can help you to ensure that his skin is healthy.

Comments

Raul (over 3 years ago)

Hey , my pug Lily is a 5 months old pup and I am pretty scared about her belly because she has got darken belly and her skin. She is still playful and doesn't show any skirt of infection can anyone help me with this issue ?

dragonmakestoast (over 2 years ago)

Jack was my spouse dog. Unfortunately he passed away a month ago and I have taken over looking after him My problem is jack has started to pee and poop on my bed. He also does it to my two daughters both of whom have their own homes. Please please help me...I have become very fond of hom

spnishmuse (almost 2 years ago)

Hi My pug sofie was recently diagnosed with mange. She's just short of 1 year and I'm having a really hard time getting rid of it. She's recently gotten used to eating human food..mostly chicken sometimes meat, and now refuses to eat her grain free dry food. Help! How can I get her back on eating her grain free food? I've used Merrick and Royal Canin....any suggestions?

jayababu (over 1 year ago)

Hi, My pug Disny got skin allergy at inside of two thighs like small wounds and spreading, i went to vet and using medicines but no use.
Any one can please tell the reason and how to cure.

maggie H (over 1 year ago)

I have had 2 pugs and found that my 1 pug never had any problems, always had clean fur between her wrinkles.. and my other pug ALWAYS had problems for 10 years (fur fell out and her nose wrinkles became red and raw no matter what I did). Winds up this was b/c she was a "yeasty dog" and was getting yeast infections in her nose wrinkles -- which caused all the fur to fall off and for it to stink and become raw.

Once I learned it was a yeast infection, I eliminated any foods that had wheat, sugar and potatoes (sweet potatoes are good, just not white potatoes) --- her nose fold cleared up and has been healthy ever since! (I also added Dinovite supplement to her food and I think that helped it cure faster.) But I couldn't believe after all these years of asking vets how to cure it... that it was a series of yeast infections brought on by the potatoes in her food and the occasional bit of bread or other item she ate.

Ambassador-Animal-Hospital (about 1 month ago)

Every breed is prone to certain health problems. pugs have almost always been lap and companion dogs, so while this trait may be genetic, it’s believed that it’s mostly for aesthetic purposes in pugs. The folds are mostly present on the neck, shoulders and chest. Ambassador Animal Hospital is a good vet clinic in Windsor which is fully equipped with surgical facilities and offers personal and friendly advice for pet owners.