Foods and Plants That Can Endanger Your Pug's Health

Pugs eat everything and that's something their owners find endearing. But cute as it might be to see your dog eating your panty hose or frolicking in your garden, there's nothing cute about watching your Pug suffer after ingesting something that could endanger its health. That's why it's up to you to keep dangerous foods and plants out of reach.

Here's a brief list of foods and plants that can endanger your Pug's health.

Chocolate


You may not realize this but one of life's most delicious pleasures is extremely dangerous to dogs! This pleasure is chocolate. Eat as much chocolate as YOU want, but never give your dog this tasty human treat. Chocolate contains caffeine and theobromine, two ingredients that stimulate the central nervous and cardiovascular systems. The amounts of these ingredients won't adversely affect humans but can cause serious side effects and even death in Pugs since they're considerably smaller than humans.

If your Pug somehow gets hold of chocolate, take the dog to your vet and bring any remaining chocolate with you to help the vet diagnose the severity of the situation. Different types of chocolate contain varying amounts of caffeine and theobromine with unsweetened or baking chocolate being the worst culprit.

Xylitol


Xylitol is fast becoming the sugar-substitute of choice. It's an all-natural sweetener that's found mostly in desserts, candies, cookies, cupcakes and gum made especially for people with diabetes. More and more sugar-free products are starting to use Xylitol so if you own a Pug, be careful!

After eating just a small amount, a dog's blood-sugar levels drop. The dog will next become lethargic, possibly start vomiting, and likely will have trouble standing. Lesions, internal hemorrhaging, and liver failure have also been reported.

High-fat foods


Never allow your Pug to eat table scraps. It's unhealthy and besides, it's a bad habit! Always keep trash out of your Pug's reach, too. High fat foods can lead to a serious condition called pancreatitis. Symptoms of pancreatitis appear quickly and include severe pain in the abdomen, vomiting, and sometimes diarrhea. If your Pug eats high fat foods and exhibits any of these symptoms, it needs medical attention fast.

Other Foods


Pugs should also not be fed avocados, dairy products, grapes/raisins, macadamia nuts, onions, garlic, raw tuna, raw egg whites or marijuana. Do not let your Pug drink coffee (caffeine) or beer as the hops in beer may cause malignant hyperthermia.

Plants


Many trees, plants and shrubs can also cause serious health issues to development if your Pug ingests them. Don't fool yourself into thinking your Pug's safe because you don't allow it to go outside since many items on the list are "indoor" varieties. Asparagus ferns, pathos, poinsettia plants, amaryllis, Boston ivy, tulip and narcissist bulbs, lilies, azalea, rhododendron, oleander, cyclamen, yew and kalanchoe are just a few of the many potential hazards.

Also on the list of items toxic to Pugs are antifreeze, mouse and rat poison, pesticides, lawn chemicals and over-the-counter medications.

If you care about your Pug's safety, keep these plants, shrubs and other hazards away from your Pug.

Comments

C790b9da745766e5_s
Teri (almost 5 years ago)

My pug seems to have an allergy but I want a natural remedy for it. We have changed her food many times but she is still itching on her chest and ears and her skin is turning black.