How To Pug Proof Your Home

129747709_36cf27a75a_large

Pug-proofing your home does not have to be difficult, if you can begin to think like your pug. Getting down on his level can be quite the eye opener and will expose areas that your pug can get into trouble with. By securing your home from dangers, you can keep your pug safe and healthy, allowing him to play without worry.

Pugs are, by nature, curious. They love to explore and this can often get them into trouble. A pug's nose is much more sensitive than that of a human's, allowing them to sniff out interesting, and sometimes dangerous items in your home. Much like a searching toddler, a pug can find items in the most curious of places.

Where to Begin in Pug-Proofing

Plants are one of the major culprits when it comes to causing harm to your pug. Pugs are allergic to many common houseplants and they love to chew on them, not realizing the potential danger. Both the leaves and plants of houseplants can be toxic or poisonous to your pug, so it is best to keep them well out of reach.

Another common area of concern in the household is medication. A bottle of pills can be deadly for your pug. It is important to keep all medications put away in an upper cabinet. Medications like Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen can make your pug very sick.

To truly pug-proof your home, you must think along the lines of baby-proofing. You should keep all chemicals, cleaners, and other substances out of the reach of your pug. Just because a bottle of cleaner is closed, does not mean that your resourceful pug cannot get it opened. Err on the side of caution and keep all chemicals safely put away.

Other Dangers for Your Pug

Electrical cords can pose a big threat to your pug. Pugs, especially when they are puppies, love to explore and chew on newfound surprises. If your pug begins chewing on a cord that is plugged in, he can receive an electrical shock that could cause cardiac arrest. Secure any electrical plugs that are in an area your pug has access to. Monitor your pug at all times, to ensure that he is not chewing on cords or even on electrical appliances.

It is also vital to keep certain foods out of the reach of your pug. Chocolate is one of the biggest foods that a dog needs to avoid. Keeping chocolate put away is very important for the safety of your pet. One 2oz bar of baker's chocolate can kill a 20-pound dog, so it is essential to keep him away from foods that contain chocolate.

By pug-proofing your home, you are ensuring that your pug can live and play comfortably and safely. It is important that you routinely check your home for dangers and that you monitor your pug at all times. If you must leave your pug alone, make sure that he is secured in a safe area. Your pet's safety is important for his long life with you.

Key Areas to Check and Keep an Eye On

  • Bathrooms
  • Kitchen (keep foods locked away and cabinets shut and secured)
  • Garage (make sure your garage is not accessible to your pug
  • Electrical cords
  • Houseplants
  • Yard

Photo Credit: zoomar

Comments

E2885888f112148a_s
Teddy's Mummy (over 4 years ago)

This is really good info although when I first got Teddy at about 6-8 weeks old he didn't attempt to chew any wires even if he could see them and he still doesn't.

Img-missing_1_s
richardbutler (almost 2 years ago)

We are planning to get a new puppy at home next week for that I have decided to do some redoing of my home like installing a new gate for avoiding direct access of puppy to baby ,Cover or fence off hot tubs and ponds since they present a drowning hazard and also got some nice stuff from http://www.omicrongranite.net store for the same .